April is Bike Month in the Capital City. And, as you can see from this list, lots of events are going on around town to make everyone want to spin their wheels.
First, make sure your bike is ready. The East Baton Rouge Parish Library can help out.
WHAT: Basic bicycle maintenance, repair and preventative care workshop. Find out about tools and techniques to maintain your bike. You can bring your own bicycle. Pumps, wrenches and other tools will be on hand.
WHEN: 4:30 p.m. March 18.
WHERE: East Baton Rouge Parish Carver Branch Library, 720 Terrace St.
INFO: (225) 389-7450.
Now you’re ready to ride, so check out:
April 6-7 – Look for the bike corral to keep your wheels safe at FestForAll and join in the Velo! Velo! des Artes public art ride on April 7. Visit www.artsbr.org for information.
Velo Louisiane festival
April 13-14 – Fourth annual Velo Louisiane Bicycle Festival, which includes the Mayor’s Family Bike Ride. Join Mayor Kip Holden at 9 a.m. on April 13 in the parking lot of B’Nai Israel, 3354 Kleinert Ave.
Hooper Hustle Mountain Bike Race
April 14 at 8 a.m., 6261 Guynell Drive. Register at: http://www.imathlete.com/events/HooperHustle or get more information at Facebook.com/brecextremesports or follow on Twitter at @BRECXSports
Bike To Work (B2W) Week
April 15-19, let your wheels take you to work. Some details are still being worked out, so keep up at www.facebook.com/BRBikeToWork and follow B2W on Twitter at @BRBiketoWork
- Informational Sessions 1-2 weeks prior to B2W.
- April 15 – Morning group ride to kickoff B2W.
- April 17 – After work group ride downtown.
- April 19 – Bike to Work Day.
- Scheduled rides from Goodwood Park and City Park to downtown and downtown to LSU.
- Breakfast stand at Indigo Hotel free to B2W participants.
- All week, free coffee and T-shirts (while supplies last) to participants at Town Square (7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.).
- Prizes to participants through Facebook and Twitter.
- Discounts from local businesses for participants.
Each Sunday in April at 5 p.m. USABMX bike races will be held at Perkins Road Community Park, BREC’s “Extreme Sports Park, 7122 Perkins Road. $10 with USABMX. membership, available at the track.
For more information, check out Facebook.com/brecextremesports or on Twitter at @BRECXSports