Be water wise
Swimming and skiing are fun and great ways to exercise. But being in the water carries its own perils.
Follow these tips to help keep you safe this summer:
- Watch your children. A child can drown in as
little as 20 seconds. Be a water watcher and
designate someone to always watch children
or any person with special needs while on or
around the water.
- Alcohol and water don’t mix. More than half
of all drowning deaths are related to alcohol
- Know your limits. Do not jump off objects or
swim farther than you should. Recognize your
limitations and stay within them.
- Wear a life jacket. If you can’t swim or you are
on a boat, wear a life vest, regardless of age
and boat length.
- Safe boating. Take a boating safety course at
www.wlf.louisiana.gov or www.Boat-Ed.com.
Know the law and rules of the water before
you boat. The U.S. Coast Guard reports that
the majority of boating-related fatalities
involve operators who have not received any
boating safety instruction.